Yuri Choe brings to Ascendant LLP her expertise in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and international business law consultancy. She earned her J.D. degree at Seoul National University, and a postgraduate LL.M. at New York University. This blend of legal education from distinct jurisdictions renders confidence to the firm’s clients when navigating complex legal landscapes and counseling international clientele.
Prior to joining Ascendant, Yuri was a senior associate at Shin & Kim, LLC (a top ranked Chambers & Partners Law firm) in Seoul from 2016 to 2022, During her tenure at Shin & Kim, Yuri led due diligence for cross-border M&A transactions, representing clients globally. Further, she played a pivotal role in the firm’s Warranty and Indemnity Insurance practice, assisting the insurance companies with underwriting, risk assessment and reviewing insurance policies tailored to specific M&A deals.
Her in-depth knowledge of corporate, technology, and privacy law, coupled with her interest in emerging industries, uniquely positioned her to focus on deals in the global tech market.
Ms. Choe represented the following matters as member of the legal counsel team:
M&A and Corporate Reorganization
- Advised a Korean conglomerate in its investment in a global fandom platform (2022)
- Counseled a private equity fund in its acquisition of the leading pet-related e-commerce company (2022)
- Counseled a restaurant franchise business group in its acquisition of globally known steakhouse brand in Korea (2021)
- Advised a potential investor in purchasing share in cryptocurrency exchange (2021)
- Counseled global IT infrastructure company in its purchase of an Internet Data Center business from a major Korean telecom company (2021)
- Advised a leading e-commerce platform in Korea in spinning-off its payment gateway (PG) service (2020)
- Advised Korean branch of global automobile company in its acquisition of a car rental company (2020)
- Counseled the leading glass manufacturer in Europe in acquisition of its major share in a subsidiary of Korea’s leading cosmetic business conglomerate (2020)
Advisory to IT Industry
- Advised global social networking services company in compliance with Korean data privacy laws (2018)
- Represented a global navigation manufacturer in acquisition of the Location Information Business License (2018)
- Advised global e-commerce company in its investment of Korea’s leading payment company and obtaining relevant licenses (2017)