Aaron C. Yen, Esq. primarily focuses on the practice areas of domestic and international business and transaction structuring, general counsel, trademark, asset protection, tax, trusts, and estate planning.
Representing business owners and high net worth clients, he counsels on matters relating to corporate affairs, project structures, tax reduction, trusts, and succession strategies. He is regularly invited to serve as the keynote speaker at events hosted by major financial institutions, business chambers, and local real estate, technology, and CPA associations. Leveraging his past experience as a litigation attorney, he provides a unique practical insight to his clients’ legal affairs.
Prior to joining Ascendant, Aaron worked at multi state law firms and most recently, served as Corporate Vice President at New York Life Insurance Company, a Fortune 100 company.
Awards and Distinctions
- Represented founding shareholders of several public companies listed in Hong Kong, China, and Japan regarding their wealth transfer strategies to limit U.S. income, estate, and gift tax consequences for pre/post immigration planning and trust planning for their U.S. investment holdings.
- Advised foreign financial institutions and family offices regarding the application and implementation of the compliance strategies with the federal tax laws specific to foreign grantor trusts and foreign non-grantor trusts.
- Represented various first generation immigrant families with post immigration wealth and estate planning regarding their global business interests, investment portfolio, and offshore insurance policies to minimize exposure to federal income and transfer taxes and implement gifting strategies.
- Represented founders of private companies for pre-IPO, pre-SPAC, and pre-sale income tax planning and trust planning.
- Advised various families and individuals regarding pre-expatriation planning to limit the impact of the exit tax and covered gifts to their families.
- Serve as retained family counsel for families with U.S. and non-U.S. tax residents to continuously advise on the affairs, structures, and strategic adjustments of their family offices.
Represented renowned entertainers from Asia regarding their trust and estate/gift tax planning needs for their U.S. investments and assets.
- Assisted foreign advisors in merger and acquisition transactions involving U.S. tax residents as shareholders on the structure of the transactions to better the U.S. tax outcome.
- Advised foreign family offices, investment managers, and tax advisors regarding U.S. federal tax laws, trusts, and entities related to their clients who may be individuals, families, foreign trusts, or corporate entities.
- Represented foreign families with heirs who are U.S. persons to structure offshore and onshore foreign grantor trusts, non-grantor gifts, U.S. standby trusts, and related holding entities.
- Represented foreign individuals and corporate investors on the implementation of strategic structures of inbound investments into the U.S. and the investment transactions.